[ANNOUNCE] Requiring CMake 2.6.2 November 10th

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 20 20:49:21 BST 2008

On Monday 20 October 2008, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2008 10:05:35 Tom Albers wrote:
> > Op maandag 20 oktober 2008 01:17 schreef u:
> > > This is necessary to be able to support the reduced library link
> > > interface the distros want to have,
> >
> > Is that a reason good enough to warrent the upgrade?
>
> Yes.
>
> Or well. From debian POV, it seems to be working already in the 2.6 series,

No, not really :-P
Just using the target property doesn't cut it, it needs more, i.e. cmake
2.6.2.

Anyway, here's a list of changes to cmake which are relevant for KDE (ranging
from "nice to have" to "fixes broken builds"):
- make it work with llvm
- Add better version support to find_package command
- Add VERSION compare to if command
- Fix unsetting of global properties
- better preservation of user link lines
- add a get command for cmake policies
- support link interface in target_link_libraries  (that's the big one)
- UsePkgConfig.cmake - clean up, add a status message in case pkgconfig didn't
find the package, sync with kde
- FindX11 look in more places
- FindTIFF look for more names
- FindPNG add more names of linpng, sync with the KDE version
- FindLibXMl2 also search for xmllint, which comes with libxml2, sync with
FindLibXml2.cmake from KDE
- Fix bogus dependency on executable targets when a linked library
   happended to match the name of an executable target
- find_package now knows about lib64 paths
- Fix gentoo elf security issue with RPATH and RUNPATH
- Fix bug, Do not convert RPATH entries to full path.
- Fix crash when attempting to load the RPATH out of a non-ELF file
- Add support for OSX library version flags
- Change link line to preserve input given to target_link_libraries even
   if a shared library is repeated
- several enhancements to FindBoost.cmake
- Fix DEFINITIONS property to be compatible with 2.4
- Fix nmake/make with visual studio compiler to handle long link lines
- Change to find_*, a new HINTS keyword was added to avoid the
   need for NO_DEFAULT_PATH, and a repeated call to find_*
- RPATH changer during install understands symlinks now
- Fix list command with empty list values
- Fix for build on ARM
- Fix bug 0006990 CMake crashes with bad input to
set_source_files_properties

In addition to the link interface enhancement, all the RPATH related issues
can be considered critical, also the lib64 handling for find_package().

> but if this is what requires for us to drop the rest of our patches to
> actually do it, I would welcome it.

That's the plan.

Alex