Res: Res: KPackageKit

dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br
Fri Oct 17 14:42:28 BST 2008

>you understood it perfectly =)
good :D

>> the lib only requires polkitdbus, so we can call
>> the polkit authorization dialog that will use the
>> available (gnome for instance since the kde one is not
>> finished iirc)
>
>that would need to get fixed before kpackagekit could go into a kde release.
>
>do you happen to know how much work we'd be looking at to create a KDE
>friendly UI set for policykit?

Well there are two interfaces to policykit (afaik), one if for
the auth dialog, that when i looked at the kde one i thought
that this was almost done, and the other ui, is the settings
ui, that only admins need to use, there you set if installing
packages for example should prompt for password... etc it's
called polkit-gnome-authorization.

imho they are very simple uis, but i don't know polkit
enough to measure how much work would be expended in
creating a kde/qt front end.

>it's essentially a runtime dependency which is enough.

if the need is only at the polkit auth i can try to help
in it's development, i don't have much time but i can
try to see what's missing.

Regards,
Daniel

Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 17 de Outubro de 2008 0:05:13
Assunto: Re: Res: KPackageKit

On Thursday 16 October 2008, dantti85-dev at yahoo.com.br wrote:
> hmm i'm not really sure i understood your question,

you understood it perfectly =)

> qpackagekit will be available through the
> main packagekit site (www.packagekit.org), Richard

cool; i'll build this tomorrow and check it out.

> the lib only requires polkitdbus, so we can call
> the polkit authorization dialog that will use the
> available (gnome for instance since the kde one is not
> finished iirc)

that would need to get fixed before kpackagekit could go into a kde release.

do you happen to know how much work we'd be looking at to create a KDE
friendly UI set for policykit?

> but the depency is not at gnome one
> polkit is the one who decide which one to call,

it's essentially a runtime dependency which is enough.

> if both of then are not available it uses consolekit.
> almost forgot kpackagekit and qpackagekit (lib) does
> not require packagekit itself as we talk only throught
> dbus, but, if there is no packagekit installed kpackagekit
> is useless :P

;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo