Proposal: new non-shipping module for examples

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 2 02:35:39 BST 2008

On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 October 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >> i'd like to propose a new module in svn: kde-training-kit[2]
> >
> > How about using kdesdk for this ? It's also for stuff related to
> > development.
> >
> > Alex
>
> I was going to propose kdesdk for housing techbase tutorials code a few
> weeks ago, but didn't get around to it yet. It can be linked to and

the reason i didn't suggest kdesdk was that:

* it gets shipped as part of KDE core releases, so the code would either not
be part of the default build (which is part of the current problem) or get
installed on user's computers (not what we want). a major problem here is that
if it isn't part of the build, we don't get buildbot coverage.

* it would potentially give kdesdk dependencies to other modules

* it would increase the size of the module for what's really not very
interesting code to most people

i personally like the idea of kdesdk being focused on being a software
developer kit containing useful tools to do development with rather than a
teaching kit.

the benefits of having it in kdesdk are:

* people already know it (and likely have it)

> partially reproduced for the techbase page, like qt examples at
> doc.trolltech.com.

the examples and demos in qt are kept separate from the dev tools. that seems
sensible to me.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se