Proposal: new non-shipping module for examples

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Oct 1 18:58:49 BST 2008

Le Wednesday 01 October 2008, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> threadweaver, phonon, solid and plasma all have such code, and i'm sure
> there's more out there. right now threadweaver, phonon and solid ship their
> examples inside their code base but they aren't built. i'm looking for a
> home for plasma's examples, all of which exist in playground right now
> which isn't the best place for it.

Of course having the examples along with the code (like in the libsolid case)
but not compiled is a real problem because it easily gets out of sync.

> i'd like to propose a new module in svn: kde-training-kit[2]

Nice name, very explicit, I like it. :-p

> this new module would:
>
> * follow trunk
> * be branched with KDE releases
> * have a top level directory for each project interested in offering
> examples
> * contain course materials that are currently floating "out there"
> on the internet (i know, for instance, that Kevin Ottens has some of this
> kind of material)
> * be linked as a resource from techbase

Actually on this particular one, bonus point if someone manage to embed code
directly from the repository into the wiki. From a writer pov you want to
simply link to the code in the repo, but from a reader perspective you
probably want to have this kind of code inline while you're browsing (probably
with some textual explanation attached to it, etc.).

> * be tracked by the buildbot

Yes! Pleaase! And tracked by the EBN too since we're at it.

> it would not:
>
> * be released as part of the KDE release tarballs (they are examples for
> learning and demonstration, not for installing on end user's machines)
> * be a place for tutorials (that's what we have techbase for), though
> tutorials on techbase may well reference the examples

Yup. Actually in kdelibs/solid/examples all the examples are named tutorialX.
But that mainly comes from the fact that they are small apps of increasing
complexity and are then copied into techbase pages which form real tutorials.

So again we might want to find a solution to eliminate this duplication.

> * be a place for design documentation (that's either what techbase is for
> or should remain close to the actual project imho)
>
> so my question is:
>
> am i the only one looking for a place to put our examples? or would others
> find this a useful service?

It's definitely something I would want. I'm pretty sure that most 3rd party
developers don't know where to find the examples we have right now. And if
they find them they might be in a non-compiling state, or outdated because we
don't track them efficiently right now.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."