KDE applications need kfmclient to open links, which is not shipped with kdebase/runtime

Armin Berres trigger at space-based.de
Fri Nov 21 21:20:05 GMT 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 08 21:56, Armin Berres wrote:
> Another problem: xdg-open calls ksmserver and happily fails more or less
> when it is not around. It doesn't even open Iceweasel or x-www-browser
> on Debian then. Actually it tries to open websites with w3m...

Oki doki, if ksmserver is not around it tries to use sensible-browser
which falls back to w3m on my box. Seems as if this is not a general
problem. Maybe changing it to search for kioclient first these days
wouldn't hurt.
xdg-open would have the benefit, that it uses e.g. the default browser
on Gnome when the user is running Gnome instead of KDE. Opening
protocols like fish wouldn't work in this case, but I guess
invokeBrowser() isn't meant to be able to do this?

Another thing: Wouldn't it make sense to use the default broswer on the
installed system (sensible-browser, x-www-browser or whatever) if no
default browser is chosen in KDE? Encouraging people to use Konqueror is
nice for sure, but the user does have to change his default browser in
one less place then.

Greetings,
Armin