KDE applications need kfmclient to open links, which is not shipped with kdebase/runtime

Armin Berres trigger at space-based.de
Fri Nov 21 20:56:28 GMT 2008

On Fri, 21 Nov 08 15:42, Trever Fischer wrote:
> On Friday 21 November 2008 03:33:43 pm Armin Berres wrote:
> > The problem with xdg-open is, that one can't expect to have it installed
> > by default.
>
> Maybe. But its a pretty safe assumption:
>
> [trever at Thebe]~/% rpm -qv --whatrequires xdg-utils | grep kde
> kdeplasma-addons-4.1.2-2.fc10.i386
> kdebase-4.1.2-5.fc10.i386
> kdenetwork-4.1.2-3.fc9.i386
> kdepim-4.1.2-4.fc10.i386
> kdebase-runtime-4.1.2-5.fc10.i386
> kdelibs-4.1.2-5.fc10.i386
> kdelibs-4.1.2-5.fc10.i386
> kdeedu-kstars-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdeedu-math-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdegames-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdeadmin-4.1.2-3.fc9.i386
> kdebase-workspace-4.1.2-10.fc9.i386
> kdeaccessibility-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdemultimedia-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdesdk-4.1.2-3.fc9.i386
> kdetoys-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdeedu-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdeartwork-4.1.2-2.fc9.i386
> kdeutils-4.1.2-3.fc10.i386
> kdegraphics-4.1.2-2.fc9.1.i386

In Debian we don't have this dependency, as nothing (just did a short
grep through kdelibs/kdebase) seems to call xdg-open. One could make it
a hard dependency though.

Another problem: xdg-open calls ksmserver and happily fails more or less
when it is not around. It doesn't even open Iceweasel or x-www-browser
on Debian then. Actually it tries to open websites with w3m...

Greetings,
Armin