kdereview exemption for PolicyKit-KDE

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 19:34:57 GMT 2008

Hello everyone,

Sorry to drop into the discussion just now, but these days are like hell for
me. Anyway, I'd like to tell you something more about the whole stuff, and my
0.02€ (or $, if you like it better)

I started moving towards PolicyKit-KDE almost at the same time when Lubos
hacked into existing code and made it somehow "work". Unfortunately, given the
fact that time was really short, and mine in particular, and I couldn't afford
to learn all Polkit API in my short time (and we all agree that documentation
sucks hard), I started crying for help around. So I met Daniel and Trever,
thanks to KPackageKit, that joined in. I also got in touch with PolicyKit-KDE3
developer, but he unfortunately didn't have time to join.

So, I was able to do only some fixes here and there while I let the others do
the Polkit part. The reason why we've been slow in this was just lack of time.
All of this to say that we can make it 100% usable in a bunch of days, given
the fact we should all be more free shortly.

Now, to the real discussion. The main argument against inclusion was that it
is not a good idea to add a framework. Let's clarify: PolicyKit-KDE is _NOT_ a
framework, nor a KDE app that wants to use Polkit strictly needs PolicyKit-
KDE. It is just a GUI for Polkit authentication. I, for myself, am against
feature exceptions, but at the actual state, we have a kinda funny situation.

Example: some important distros are adopting packagekit. Suppose user X uses
KDE and doesn't like using a terminal for installing packages. He installs
$gui-for-packagekit, and he finds out he needs to pull in half GNOME, or half
KDE3 since there is no way to get a KDE4 interface to talk to Polkit.
Definitely not so funny.

HAL, NetworkManager 0.7, all incoming *kits and more apps are starting to use
Polkit, and we have to keep up with that. I am fine with the move to
extragear, and even with the Beta1-Beta2 stuff: I'll let release team take the
best decision. In any case, if it will be in 4.2, I will put it as a priority
in my current KDE projects.

Cheers
Dario