kdereview exemption for PolicyKit-KDE

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Nov 17 14:07:11 GMT 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008 03:28:26 Trever Fischer wrote:
> Hi, I'm Trever, one of the 4 or so of us working on PolicyKit-KDE. For the
> most part, it is as feature-complete as we planned for the 4.2 release, but
> it is still in playground. We'd like to request an exemption to the normal
> kdereview period in order to get it in before the hard feature freeze.
> Would this be possible?

I'm leaning towards letting it into kdebase, based on the following thoughts

- it's critical functionality for a desktop, we were lacking it in 4.0 and
  4.1, and distros will ship it, no matter what
- it'll need one cycle for apps to actually start using it
- it's rather small, doesn't require BIC, or a stable API even (all to my
  understanding)

For the future (4.3), we should try to deliver a nice Qt-style API, that
people like Lubos (and less ingenious developers as well ;-)) can understand
easily and that we can and want to support. (I understand that this is
lacking, but the code proposed for inclusion in this thread doesn't go about
this, it's only the bare minimum).

All under the precondition that it gets a good code review ASAP and stays
high-priority to be fixed where necessary for 4.2.0.

So in short, Dirk, Allen and Kevin's proposal to try to get it into beta2
would work fine from my POV.

It might make sense to already include it into beta1, so we get to know about
problems with it earlier, rather than later...
--
sebas