kdereview exemption for PolicyKit-KDE

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Nov 17 14:06:08 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008 14:44:21 Trever Fischer wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2008 03:02:30 am Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >* It is two exectubles, one is 844 LOC and the other is 648 LOC. They
> > >communicate with PolicyKit via D-Bus, and link against libkdeui (and
> > > it's dependencies) and the PolicyKit libraries (e.g. the dbus
> > > convenience lib)
>
> Sorta. D-Bus is only used to communicate with the authenticator by saying
> "Hey! We need to make sure this person knows the password!".
>
> PolicyKit uses an external helper (polkit-auth) set suid-root to directly
> read and write to the authentication database. The library wraps around
> calling the program. The library also uses the dbus calls to the
> authenticator when the helper says authentication is required.

I didn't understand.

What kind of calls does it make through D-Bus? Are they blocking? Does it ever
receive incoming calls or incoming signals?

> > I don't see how you can write a proper event loop integration in 650
> > lines of code. Much less the integration plus the application code.
> >
> > So, where is the event loop integration code for the convenience lib? Or,
> > another related question: why use the lib instead of QtDBus generated
> > wrappers around the D-Bus calls?
>
> Because its already in qt?

Qt does not do event-loop integration for you. It only does integration for
its own connections.

If you or your libraries are using libdbus-1 outside QtDBus, you need to write
the integration yourself. It's a different connection (your application will
appear twice in the "qdbus" listing).

  Senior Software Engineer - Nokia, Qt Software
  Qt Software is hiring - ask me
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358