kdereview exemption for PolicyKit-KDE

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Nov 17 00:15:51 GMT 2008

On Monday 17 of November 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2008, Tom Albers wrote:
> > We have a two week review period, not two or three days. I don't see why
> > an exemption should be made for you and not for others.
>
> quite simply: to avoid having a gnome runtime dependency for use of
> policykit.

 What use of PolicyKit?

> yes, we could move that off to distributions to fix, but that screws our
> from- source users and continues this rediculous "let the distros fix
> things we can't, even though we really ought to be able to" pattern of
> behaviour we tend to exhibit at times.
>
> while i completely understand the release team's desire to stick to the
> plan for the health and benefit fo the project, i'd like to see us not
> become so bound to a set of rules we make for ourselves that we end up
> shooting ourselves in the foot just to "obey the rules".
>
> in this case, allowing people to use policykit without having to install
> gnome seems like a good thing.

 They could still get it from extragear or wherever and install it, if they
manage to install also software that actually needs it. I fail to see what is
so special about PolicyKit and KDE4.2 that it should be worth an exception
for a tool that couldn't even ask properly for a password 3 weeks back. The
universe will still exist even if policykit-kde moves to kdebase only after
4.2.

> i'm about to go take a look at this code in question and i'll report back
> in a bit. something that it doesn't seem anyone else in this thread has
> actually done yet?

 I can save you some work there. Just grep for the 'TODO' notes I've left and
svn log on src/policykitkde.cpp is an interesting read too (although it
misses "now it seems to be good enough for kupdateapplet and I couldn't care
less about the rest right now" stated explicitly somewhere).

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz