Automatic completion mode

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Nov 15 17:28:49 GMT 2008

On Saturday 15 November 2008, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been lately wondering the way automatic completion works. I
> could have just gone for the patch on KLineEdit or somewhere else,
> but I wanted to consult it with all you before writing a useless
> patch.
>
> I will describe the problem now. Imagine on a lineedit that i want
> automatic completion (like krunner one) I write something like:
>
> "websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/itemviews" and press enter.
>
> the lineedit now has saved that path. Good.
>
> Now I open krunner again and write
>
> "websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs" and press enter.
>
> Surprisingly for me
> "websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdelibs/kdeui/itemviews" is opened, what is
> wrong from my POV.

This is really specific to URLs (or paths). If I want to start Konsole
via krunner then I usually write "kons" and then press Enter. I like
this behavior and it's what I (and all other users) have learned to
expect from the automatic completion mode.

> Options to fix this:
>
> - Complete if I press "right" arrow key.
> - Complete (and accept) if I press shift+enter.
>
> Opinions, suggestions ?

Neither. Use "Dropdown list" completion mode if automatic completion
mode does not suit you. Or invent yet another completion mode. But
changing the behavior of an existing completion mode is IMO out of
question.

Regards,
Ingo