[kde-artists] Resolving icon naming conflicts

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 31 23:53:14 BST 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> I ask you, "immediate supervisors" (quote JRT) to take a look at this

urg. we're immediate team members, not immediate supervisors =)

> kdelibs? handles icon loading and the technical side of icon fallbacks.

kdelibs really has nothing to say about the names of the icons, just the
mechanism for loading an icon given an arbitrary name.

> oxygen? is what i work on, but also affects other themes.
> kdebase/runtime? has oxygen just as a "minor" part amongst other large
> pieces of concrete code.

oxygen is a project of the kde artwork project, and it seems that icon naming
as well would fall within the kde artwork project scope.

as for how to bridge it over to the developers, this is something that affects
application developers. in one sense it's kind of like writing a library 3rd
parties depend on: you have to keep compatibility going forward so as not to
break other people's work that they've already done. so the effort towards
develpers is probably pretty low, other than to document additions as they
happen (changes are probably verboten?) and to work with k-c-d members who
work on KIcon* to keep that infrastructure working.

> So who's responsible for this area?

given how it usually works in kde, this seems fairly obvious to me: the people
doing the bulk of the work, the people responsible for the design going
forward, etc. that would seem most naturally to me to currently include Ken,
Pinheiro and yourself; there are certainly others involved with oxygen,
artwork and icons, but responsibility lies with those doing and directing the
work.

in the case of icon naming, as Ken and Pinheiro have also both given you their
express approval and, indeed, support in this area, it only seems logical that
you would be the person to take maintainership of the icon naming. doubly so
since you have been doing the bulk of that work.

and as someone who was involved in that work as well prior to 4.0 (mostly from
the coding side though), you also have my support.

it sucks to not have a recognized and active maintainer in a project, so if
you want that role it seems to be yours for the claiming =)

> It also doesn't help that the
> kde artists module doesn't have an official maintainer listed at
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Release_Team#Coordinator_List .

indeed; perhaps you could decide amongst yourselves who that could be and add
such an entry. note that co-maintainership is fine as well.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se