VLC and MPlayer Phonon backends on KDE repo

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu May 29 17:35:02 BST 2008

Hi Tanguy,

I'm sorry for not replying (or even reading) your mails. I'd need to answer
more mails than I can handle :-(

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Tanguy Krotoff wrote:
> You suggested me to host my code in KDE's svn repo.
> I will apply for an account at
> http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_SVN_Account (username:
> tkrotoff) and give your name as a "mentor".

Yes, please apply for an account. Feel free to work on kdesupport/phonon. If
you want to coordinate patches with me, IRC + pastebin works best for me, but
sometimes (with some luck) I also reply to mails.

> I read with interest you post about the new home for Phonon and I'm
> happy that you have decided to make Phonon independent from kdelibs.
> You also asked for people helping you with testing the build-system
> under Windows and I can definitely help you for that as I mainly
> develop under Windows (MinGW + Visual C++ 2005).

Great.

> I've released a 0.1.0 version of phonon-vlc-mplayer and here is my
> repo organization:
> http://code.google.com/p/phonon-vlc-mplayer/source/browse/trunk/ do
> you think it's OK?
> As you see I've a copy of phonon source code since you didn't reply me
> about this patch:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.users.multimedia/5230
> Can you check this aswell, thx

Yes, it's correct to use ObjectDescription instead of ints there. I need more
time to verify that there really is no better solution than those new (ugly)
functions.

> Another thing that might interest you and related to the first small
> patch that I sent to you:
> http://code.google.com/p/phonon-vlc-mplayer/source/browse/trunk/cmake/Reduc
>eQtIncludeDirs.cmake

interesting. But I prefer a small patch to FindQt4.cmake (if needed) and then
use a different variable for the includes instead of this evil hack. :-)

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de