the right home for Phonon

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu May 29 17:01:06 BST 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> On Thursday 29 May 2008, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 May 2008 09:13:53 Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > > And I'm still not fully happy with phonon trunk in kdesupport and the
> > > release branches in branches/phonon. Because many KDE developers will
> > > just install kdesupport and not test the code in branches/phonon which is
> > > going to be released. The only idea to improve that situation would be to
> > > again use a dedicated phonon module and use svn:externals to link either
> > > a release branch or trunk to kdesupport... but I don't know if an
> > > external really is an improvement.
> >
> > Why are there modifications in trunk that are not in 4.2?
>
> Because the stuff in trunk is not ready for a release.

I think the real question is: why doesn't qt-copy-4.1's phonon have the stuff that is in branches/phonon/4.2.
This is what causes the compilation error.
From your reply I assume the answer is: qt-4.1's phonon is not recent enough, but then you write
"Trolltech is free to use the 4.2 branch or even the 4.1 branch", which confuses me. If TT keeps using the
4.1 branch, kdebase will never compile with Qt's phonon, will it?

> The only idea to improve that situation would be to again use a
> dedicated phonon module and use svn:externals to link either a release branch
> or trunk to kdesupport...

No, a much simpler idea would be:
kdesupport/phonon contains whichever phonon stable-branch is needed for the rest of KDE
branches/work/phonon/trunk or something like that is where unstable phonon features are developed

David (still without a compiling kdebase)