QPrintDialog

Craig Drummond craig at kde.org
Wed May 28 23:40:52 BST 2008

Hi,

I've noticed 3 inconsistencies in the QPrintDialog used in KDE4:

1. In apps such as KWrite the print dialog just has the executable name as its
title (e.g. "kwrite").  The attached "kdeprintdialog.cpp.diff" fixes this by
setting the dialog's caption to be "Print - <AppName>". However, this
introduces a new string "Print" - is this OK?

2. The "OK/Cancel" buttons do not have icons, even if this option is enabled
within the control panel. KStyle could control this via
the "SH_DialogButtonBox_ButtonsHaveIcons" style hint option. But can KStyle
use KConfig? Or should this setting also be written via QSettings?

3. When printing to file, the QFileDialog is used to select the location. I
noticed in qfiledialog.cpp the "_qt_filedialog_save_filename_hook" (etc.)
variables, but these are marked as "Internal" (but are still exported). The
attached kfiledialog.cpp.diff uses these "Internal" variables to override the
Qt file dialog's with KDE ones. Are these safe to use? I assume not,
unfortunately, but they are one way to solve the print dialog's file selector
problem.

If its OK I'd like to apply the kdeprintdialog.cpp.diff patch - as its fairly
harmless, and I'll look into the icons on buttons issue. I assume the file
selector patch is probably not acceptable - but I'm asking anyway...

Craig.