Resolving icon naming conflicts

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon May 26 22:28:56 BST 2008

Le lundi 26 mai 2008, Jakob Petsovits a écrit :
> Hi core devs,
>
> JRT and I have a small disagreement about an icon name (and possibly more
> in the future), and it seems we can't resolve this issue by discussion as
> each of us has already presented all of our arguments and we still can't
> find consensus.
>
> I ask you, "immediate supervisors" (quote JRT) to take a look at this
> thread: http://lists.kde.org/?t=121062542200004&r=1&w=2
> and help us out in resolving this issue.
>
> Especially regarding the question of who has the authority for icon naming
> decisions if dead ends like this one creep up. It's a slightly difficult
> issue as icon naming affects artists and developers alike, and doesn't
> really belong to any existing realm.
>
> kdelibs? handles icon loading and the technical side of icon fallbacks.
> oxygen? is what i work on, but also affects other themes.
> kdebase/runtime? has oxygen just as a "minor" part amongst other large
> pieces of concrete code.
>
> So who's responsible for this area? It also doesn't help that the
> kdeartists module doesn't have an official maintainer listed at
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Release_Team#Coordinator_List .
>
> So, it's basically up to Oliver Goffart (kdebase/runtime coordinator) and
> kde-core-devel (overall input and governance) to decide how this issue can
> be resolved. Please advise.
>
> I'm sorry to steal your time with annoying issues like this, but I can't
> handle this by myself anymore, especially with JRT asking where he can go
> if he doesn't agree with me (and considering that neither I nor JRT have
> any official maintainership over icon naming).

I don't know if I'm the one which shold judge... but i'll give my opinion.
This question is difficult to answer, because both side have good arguments.

We need a general purpose zoom icon that would be used on a menu which would
contains the options.  The logical name for it would be obviously "zoom"

But in my opinion, if a theme doesn't contains an icon for zoom-in, it should
fallback to the icon of it's parent theme. And NOT the global zoom icon.

You often put severals zoom icon in the toolbar. And having several times the
same icon in the toolbar is in my opinion less usable than inconsistant theme
(while both are bad things)

So the general purpose zoom icon should have a name like "zoom-general"
or "zoom-menu"

But I don't think I'm the one to jugde, because i'm neither a usability
expert, neither an artist.

--
Olivier

P.S: I liked the Jakob's "will happen over my suspended SVN account"
expression :-)