[Slightly OT] python based kdesvn-build variant that uses git locally available

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Sun May 25 22:02:31 BST 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008 22:05:00 Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday 25 May 2008, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > The subject says it all. More information at
> >
> > http://michael-jansen.biz/blog/mike/2008-05-25/build-tool
> >
> > I would like to have feedback.
>
> I appreciate that you're handling options that kdesvn-build handles.  But
> you'll want to alias --pretend and -p for --dry-run I think (I didn't know
> -- dry-run was standard when I started kdesvn-build, --pretend was what
> Portage uses).

Thx. I will do that.

> Other than that, make sure you architect it now so that you can run update
> and build in parallel.  It took me awhile to get that into kdesvn-build
> once the script was 8000 lines or so.

I use kdesvn-build for a while now but never noticed it does that. Could you
explain?

> I think it should be possible to auto-detect which build system to use as
> well instead of making the user specify.  You'd probably want to allow the
> user to specify for cases where auto detection is wrong however.

Yeah. I think that would be possible. But that is nice to have stuff
currently. Will put it into my idea list. Thanks.

> Splitting out make configuration from module options is a good idea I
> think.

Hope so. Time will tell.

> I've often wanted to re-do kdesvn-build using Ruby but I've never had the
> time.  If you intend to keep building and maintaining your script feel free
> to steal liberally from kdesvn-build.  Also, do you intend to
> replace/supplant kdesvn-build or is this more for using git-svn?  If the
> two scripts reach feature parity it will not make sense to keep them both
> around (and I have no time for an arms race ;)

I have absolutely no plan. That script was done in the typical open source
fashion. Subversion got on my nerves, so i tried svk but couldn't get used to
it. Finally i tried git and thought that's cool. But i missed the service of
kdesvn-build. I had a look at the code but i thought i would be easier to
start from scratch. Choose python for whatever reason (I'm better at perl
hacking, did ruby development too). Here we are. No plans.

And i've stolen from kdesvn-build :-).

I think time will tell. Currently i do not support svn on the client side.
It's on my feature list on last place. The hole system is designed to be vcs
agnostic. But until someone goes and implements a second system we will never
know.

If someone wants to contribute please contact me.

And by the way. Thank you for kdesvn-build. It served me very well.

Mike
--
Michael Jansen
Available for contract work ( Development / Configuration Management )