[Slightly OT] python based kdesvn-build variant that uses git locally available

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Sun May 25 21:05:00 BST 2008

On Sunday 25 May 2008, Michael Jansen wrote:
> The subject says it all. More information at
>
> http://michael-jansen.biz/blog/mike/2008-05-25/build-tool
>
> I would like to have feedback.

Looks interesting, and I would imagine serves the git-svn troupe out there
very well.

I appreciate that you're handling options that kdesvn-build handles.  But
you'll want to alias --pretend and -p for --dry-run I think (I didn't know --
dry-run was standard when I started kdesvn-build, --pretend was what Portage
uses).

Other than that, make sure you architect it now so that you can run update and
build in parallel.  It took me awhile to get that into kdesvn-build once the
script was 8000 lines or so.

I think it should be possible to auto-detect which build system to use as well
instead of making the user specify.  You'd probably want to allow the user to
specify for cases where auto detection is wrong however.

Splitting out make configuration from module options is a good idea I think.

I've often wanted to re-do kdesvn-build using Ruby but I've never had the
time.  If you intend to keep building and maintaining your script feel free to
steal liberally from kdesvn-build.  Also, do you intend to replace/supplant
kdesvn-build or is this more for using git-svn?  If the two scripts reach
feature parity it will not make sense to keep them both around (and I have no
time for an arms race ;)

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne