the right home for Phonon

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat May 17 11:10:35 BST 2008

Marc Espie wrote:
>Concretely, I have a main qt package, that depends (more or less) on
>glib2, iconv, intl, png, dbus, ssl, X11.
>
>Then I have a mysql package, that depends on mysqlclient.
>And similarly, the postgresql package, that depends on
> postgresql-client. likewise for sqlite, and sqlite2.
>
>The point being, people installing qt4 don't necessarily want to install
>mysql and postgresql as well.
>
>With qt4.4, suddenly, I get the whole set of gstreamer dependencies
> added to that, that is: gstreamer itself, libxml2, and more glib2
> libraries.

I understand. I just doubt that we'll refactor qtconfig so that it's
plugin-based. I can tell you we will NOT do it during 4.4.x's lifetime.

So I suggest you split your packages differently. Leave the main libraries
in one package, phonon and webkit separately, plugins in yet another, the
tools in packages of their own (assistant, assistant_adp, designer,
linguist, qtconfig, pixeltool), docs in two more packages. Plus the
development packages.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358