the right home for Phonon

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Fri May 16 10:44:32 BST 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 00:47:51 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> >I don't understand how this will work, a special --configure flag
> >(--use-external-phonon-source?)
> >how do you bootstrap it? (qt needs phonon, phonon needs qt), this time I
> > am talking from the packaging side of point, as I am not sure it's a
> > good idea to have a phonon-source package in debian.
> >
> >The same problem happens with QtWebKit, as IMHO, it will also have a
> > different release cycle, independent of Qt itself. Well, I assume
> > Trolltech/Nokia have more control over that one.
>
> We haven't decided yet.
>
> Our current idea is that what you can do is choose whether you want to
> build the bundled copies or not. If you choose not to, you need to get it
> from somewhere else.
>
> Our intention is to also produce tarballs with the exact same releases,
> but externally. That way packagers could in theory upgrade those releases
> without touching their Qt packages.
This is what I was thinking:

Phonon + QtWebKit are developed externally, and have indipendent release
cycles. Once in a while, TT/Nokia pulls those sources into Qt 4.4.1 as a
bundle. They put a switch switch in configure to disable the build and
install of Phonon/QtWebKit.

A user (packager) can download those packages and install as a separate
install. Qt -> Phonon -> WebKit.

This will in theory make a situation in which you can mix different
WekKit/Phono/Qt(core) packages. Sweet :)