the right home for Phonon

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu May 15 22:47:51 BST 2008

Diego Iastrubni wrote:
>I don't understand how this will work, a special --configure flag
>(--use-external-phonon-source?)
>how do you bootstrap it? (qt needs phonon, phonon needs qt), this time I
> am talking from the packaging side of point, as I am not sure it's a
> good idea to have a phonon-source package in debian.
>
>The same problem happens with QtWebKit, as IMHO, it will also have a
> different release cycle, independent of Qt itself. Well, I assume
> Trolltech/Nokia have more control over that one.

We haven't decided yet.

Our current idea is that what you can do is choose whether you want to
build the bundled copies or not. If you choose not to, you need to get it
from somewhere else.

Our intention is to also produce tarballs with the exact same releases,
but externally. That way packagers could in theory upgrade those releases
without touching their Qt packages.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358