decibel

George Goldberg grundleborg at googlemail.com
Wed May 7 01:47:46 BST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 May 2008, George Goldberg wrote:
>
> > Tobias Hunger to give you a definite answer to that,
>  > but if I'm not mistaken, it is currently planned for decibel to go
>  > into kdenetwork, not kdelibs.
>
>  hm. then how can other apps use it easily? i'd rather not have, e.g., plasma
>  depend on kdenetwork.

I've just been back through the archives, and this thread [1] seems to
be where I got that information from. On looking at it again, it seems
a lot less conclusive than how I remembered it.

The most obvious issue I can see with decibel going to kdebase is that
we cannot guarantee binary compatability at this stage. (Partly due to
how much the telepathy spec has changed and is continuing to change).

Since it will depend on the KDE akonadi libraries to build decibel
with KDE integration (once my summer of code project is complete), I
don't see how it could go in kdelibs as it will depend on kdepimlibs.

However, I'm not making any objections to where it should go... just
making sure that the possible factors influencing that decision are
brought to light.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-commits&m=120292646930533&w=2

---
George Goldberg