Drop-in replacement for QFontComboBox, better previews

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Tue May 6 13:45:28 BST 2008

> [: Stefan Monov :]
> [...] why are fonts like "Penguin Attack" and "progenisis" drawn in some
> generic fallback font? i.e. why aren't their names drawn using themselves?

My understanding is the following. It may happen that the font name cannot
be rendered in itself, because instead of Latin 1 glyphs it has some other
at those positions (like for Symbols, Webdings, etc.) Qt uses a heuristic to
check this, and in order not to accidentally show garbage instead of the
font name, the heuristic is conservative -- it will use a generic font
whenever it's not really sure the proper glyphs are available. Some fonts
when queried by the heuristic "lie" about their properties, and so the
problem.

Another option I thought about is to just show all names in default font,
not in their own, since now there is a sample text to demonstrate the font?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)