ksaneplugin (and libksane)

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Sun May 4 23:53:46 BST 2008

On Sunday 04 May 2008, Kåre Särs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have now moved ksaneplugin to kdegraphics, but not libksane.
>
> I did not move libksane because of circular dependency problems:
> Gwenview -> libkipi (kipi-plugins) -> libksane

So basically acquireimages would depend on libksane (which we want to move
out of extragear) and moving it to kdegraphics would make that kipi plugin
depend on kdegraphics?

Looks like our options are to

1. Move libksane to kdelibs since multiple applications use it.
2. Make a new kdegraphicslib or similar and make extragear/libs/kipi-plugins
optionally depend on it and have kdegraphics depend on it.
3. Leave libksane in extragear/libs even though it is ready to be moved into
KDE and have kdegraphics optionally depend on it.
4. Move libksane to kdegraphics and make extragear/libs/kipi optionally
depend on it.  This depends on stuff in kdegraphics not depending (even
optionally) on things in extragear/libs/kipi though, which Gwenview does.

I don't like option 3 because eventually some other library will be ready to
leave extragear and we'll likely have the same issue.  Do we have a set
policy for how libraries migrate out of extragear, or just applications?

If don't like option 4 because of the circular dependencies involved.  It's
just not a good idea to allow circular dependencies to exist.

If libksane is small enough I'd say use option 1, otherwise I'd say we need
to do option 2 (or something similar).  Anyone have other thoughts?

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne