XMLGUI: preventing merges into a specific toolbar

Vladimir Prus vladimir at codesourcery.com
Sun May 4 12:11:27 BST 2008

David Faure wrote:

> On Thursday 01 May 2008, Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> The virtual methods are mostly for historical reasons, there isn't really a need
>> to derive from    KXMLGUIBuilder anymore.
>
> Yes, I wrote this because I didn't see a use case for deriving from KXMLGUIBuilder anymore,
> the only builder currently in use being the one provided by KXmlGuiWindow.
> But filtering is a use case I didn't think about - so if you guys conclude that deriving from
> KXMLGUIBuilder is an acceptable way of implementing filtering, then I'm happy to rewrite
> that comment.

I'm not quite sure it's an acceptable way. It seems OK if I want to add actions to some other
menu/toolbar, or if I want to just totally hide action targeted at a given toolbar. What I
want instead, is to specify for a given menu/toolbar:

- I don't want no wholesale merges, ever
- And please give me the "cool action" action should any KXMLGUIClient provide it.

Or, in another worlds, a way to specify that an action is only added if that
action in explicitly mentioned in XML.

I think that for a general filter solution at the code level, it's also desirable to filter
specific actions, not just menu/toolbars.

- Volodya