Okteta moved to kdereview; kdeutils coordinator?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 23:14:58 BST 2008

Hi Alex & Christian,

Am Montag, 31. März 2008, um 23:22 Uhr, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Monday 31 March 2008, Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> > Friedrich W. H. Kossebau schrieb:
> > > If Okteta can move to kdeutils/okteta, the old versions of the
> > > libraries and parts in kdeutils/khexedit/* will be svn rm'ed, as they
> > > are turned obsolete by the Okteta code from kdereview.
> > >
> > > Some other (background) information can be found at my blog
> > > 	http://frinring.wordpress.com/category/okteta/
> > > and on the kde-apps page
> > > 	http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=77819
> >
> > Okteta now also compiles fine on windows.

Thanks. Well, at least in the name of potential Windows users... ;)

> > I saw that you build some convenience static libs - is this intented?

Intended as far as I like to split all things that seem orthogonal to each
other into separate moduls (as can be seen by the endless number of files and
directories in Okteta, things like "libframesprint" or "piecetable").
And I follow the splits also in the CMakeLists.txt. So the moduls can be
easily moved around, shared, and the single CMakeLists.txt files stay small
size.

> > Afaik convenience libs should be avoided when possible.
>
> Are these static libraries linked into shared libraries ? This really
> should be avoided (or did we add some linker flag so it works everywhere
> ?). Using static libraries for _executables_ is ok.

So far there have been only static libraries for executables, so things seem
fine (or ok, at least :).

Thanks for the reminder. Well, now I am curious: What is the reason
for "static libraries linked into shared libraries" = nono? And could we
document this on techbase?

Gruß
Friedrich