Internationalization problem with application categories

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Mon Mar 31 12:09:13 BST 2008

> the settings kioslave in the application mode provides a list of available
> applications in structured in multi level categories.
> [...]
> Categories=Qt;KDE;Education;Math;
> [...]
> Unfortunally I could not found any language definitions for this terms
> neither does the KService::Ptr class return translated categories as it
> does for the genericName() method. Do I have missed something ?

I don't think you have missed something, but to me this seems more of a
(possible) need for a new feature than an i18n bug.

There is Freedesktop spec behind the values of Categories key,
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html. Browsing through
defined categories, one can see that they are not user-presentable strings,
but rather keys (camel casing); the .desktop spec also does not mention
Categories field as translatable. This suggests that it's client's job to
choose how to present categories to the user, including the visible wording.

Therein comes the feature: should there be e.g. KService::categoryNames()
method to return user-presentable names of the categories (define them
internally as a key-name map, i18n'ed of course)?

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)