More specific KIO Error Strings

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 03:28:46 BST 2008

Am Montag, 31. März 2008 02:15:17 schrieb nf2:
> At the moment the KIO error messages are limited to the pre-definded
> messages in KIO::buildErrorString(int errorCode, const QString
> &errorText). The errorText doesen't contain a full description of the
> problem, but rather the host-name or file-name to be inserted into the
> pre-definded messages. I wonder if it would make sense to allow slaves
> to construct error messages themselves. This would be particularly
> useful when porting KIO to VFS-systems which already provide such full
> (and translated) error messages.
>
> My proposal would be that KIO::buildErrorString() just returns the
> errorText when it is prefixed with something like "{vendor} ".
> That way we could also communicate the identity of the actual VFS-system
> vendor.

What an incredibly useful method :) </irony>
Practically speaking all ioslaves are in KDE svn so IMHO (and there are people
who like to protect BC/SC a lot harder) a simple behavior change like that
would be OK.
But would that make this apparently quirky and unintuitive to use method
("build a string based on, you know, this thing and the other thing") merely
a bit better or would it be *good*? If it wouldn't be good I say deprecate it
and introduce something that you/we can be proud of :)

--
- Those guys stare at me funny -- they probably wonder where I get my good
  looks.