Strigidaemon

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 17:44:37 BST 2008

Hi,

> It should not be set to run everytime a computer is started up.  An
> application like strigi needs to be very much under the control of the user,
> for example:

In all fairness, it isn't an easy problem to solve but competitors on other platforms (Windows Vista's Indexer
and MacOS' spotlight) make a pretty good effort to index everything automatically with no configuration
and minimal CPU usage.  Tracker managed quite well last I tried it though I have seen a fair
few complaints as well.

>From the presentation Jos gave at Akademy, the primary goal of Strigi was to index a lot of data
very fast, relying on the kernel's scheduler to balance the needs of the Strigi indexer against other
programs.  This is okay if you have a specific directory full of non-text files which you know you want
to search and can manually index only when needed.  Strigi then becomes a highly capable replacement for locate/updatedb.
If you want a general desktop search solution that everybody can use then the requirements are quite different.
The indexer doesn't have to be really fast but it does need to minimize processor usage, especially in
laptops running on battery and it has to be very robust with respect to corrupt files, buggy plugins etc.

> a configuration
> screen should come up (and allow configuration to be deferred and "remind me
> later").

Please no.  This is 2008 not 1990, I don't expect to have to do a whole
load of manual configuration to search my email and lecture notes.  If
Strigi isn't intended as a general purpose search tool then there isn't
a lot of need to tell users about it until they have a folder of files
that they want to search.

Regards,
Robert.