Shortcuts / konsolepart conflict

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Sat Mar 29 09:50:23 GMT 2008

El Sábado 29 Marzo 2008, Anders Lund escribió:
> This is a problem relevant to any application using the konsolepart in KDE
> 4.
>
> I have experienced it using kate and dolphin so far.
>
> Since the keypress events are not processed by the receiving widget first,
> shortcuts used by the terminal applications in konsolepart (your shell!)
> are randomly defunctional (if the application is using a shortcut it's
> unavailable, think of ctrl + s|q as common examples).
>
> In kate, which have many actions == many shortcuts, this strikes especially
> hard.
>
> I think we should provide a way for a widget to receive all shortcuts when
> in focus, to avoid this problem.

Hello Anders,

Yes, this is a long standing bug that I would be really happy if it was
solved. I've got it in the TODO bugs list, but I'm not very sure how this
should be fixed anyway.

Some time ago David Faure told me that this should be fixed with Qt 4.4
because it has support for WidgetWithChildrenShortcut. I'm using Qt 4.4 with
trunk and it's not fixed though, so the fix is not automatic or it's not
working. I was also told that all this have to do with KAccel not being in
use in KDE anymore.

BTW this reminds me that Hamish Rodda commited a lot of preprocessor rules
that checked if Qt 4.4 was available or not to use WidgetWithChildrenShortcut
or not, and all that code is not necessary anymore as Qt 4.4 is mandatory.
Some apps as konsole have already removed it, but many haven't yet.
Developers be aware! :P

Greetings,
      Eduardo Robles Elvira.
depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)