[rfc] Windows integration utilities - KDE::Windows namespace

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 17:30:43 GMT 2008

On Friday 28 March 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Friday 28 March 2008, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
> > As my approach is indeed the same as Aaron has noted - I am trying to
> > hide specific APIs, so as a intermediate step I propose to export methods
> > for supporting integration in order to make them uccessible within
> > kdelibs, esp. from kio and kdeui, but not for apps.
>
> thanks for clarifying this. that was my only question/concern. in a perfect
> world we could make these symbols *only* visible to kdelibs, but i have no
> idea if that's rationally possible.
>
> i would suggest putting a note explaining this, however, in the apidox so
> that people know that these APIs are not to be consumed directly by
> applications, but by other libraries which provide abstractions which
> require access underneath to these platform sepcifics. that should make it
> clear for everyone.
>
> also, is it intended to install this header? judging from the '.h' prefix,
> i'm guessing, "yes"?

The way to keep API internal while exporting the symbols is to not install the
header. And yes, then it should be a _p.h file.

Not exporting the symbol is only possible if all users of that symbol are in
the same library, which is why some Private classes need to be exportet, too.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de