kB in KDiskFreeSpace and others

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 07:32:42 GMT 2008

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>KDiskFreeSpace remarks that it returns kB.  This means kilobyte, which,
>although not necessarily in popular terminology, is technically defined
> by SI as 1000 bytes.

Well, no, it isn't. Byte isn't an SI unit, which means kB isn't defined as
anything. By popular usage, it's 1024 bytes of 8-bits.

However, we're going towards the KiB acronym, for which there's no such
ambiguity. Whether anyone says "kibibyte" aloud remains to be seen
("kays", "megs" and "gigs" are more common aloud).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358