kB in KDiskFreeSpace and others

Jeff Mitchell kde-dev at emailgoeshere.com
Fri Mar 28 01:28:55 GMT 2008

KDiskFreeSpace remarks that it returns kB.  This means kilobyte, which,
although not necessarily in popular terminology, is technically defined by SI
as 1000 bytes.

What it actually returns is the output from df, which is "1K blocks", which
are kibibyte values.

I ran into some confusion when looking at some dolphin code earlier, because
seeing that KDiskFreeSpace was returning "kB" I naturally assumed that
passing this value to a function expecting KiBs was incorrect.

So, is there a reason we should not update the documentation for this and
other "kB"-referencing classes to state either kibibytes, or explicitly 1024
byte chunks?

--Jeff