Guidance in KDE Admin

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Mar 27 00:17:07 GMT 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008, Nicolas Ternisien wrote:
> Yes, IIRC, it was a request from Aaron Siego to open KDE main tree to other
> languages than C++.

well, i was one voice among several and it certainly was not an original idea
of mine either =)

the concept is to both raise the profile of non-C++ language in associated
with KDE and to ensure a better exercising of our quality bindings.

> Python perfectly fits in my opinion this request. What

yes, it does.

> is your main problem about this Leo ? Of course, if it was Mono or Java, I
> think the problem should be different (particularly Mono, because Java 7 is
> going to be GPL2), but in this case, this is a open source language without
> any problem, and really well supported.

it's also a language that pretty well everyone already has on their f/oss
system. it should be rather trivial to introduce a cmake check for the
necessary python bits, which would make python as much of a hard dep as any
other library we use.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se