Fwd: Re: [Patch] System Settings : Improve General/Advanced tabs visibility

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Wed Mar 26 18:22:52 GMT 2008

Next try. I'm no spammer. Really :-(

Am Mittwoch 26 März 2008 18:41:10 schrieb David Johnson:
> I'm not so sure. They are toggleable and mutually exclusive like tabs, but
> I'm not sure that this exclusivity will be obvious to the user. From the
> appearance the user may assume that he can toggle both buttons
> simultaneously.
>
> The tabs communicated that there were two separate sets of settings/icons.
> Here's a wild idea: Let's have just one set. Then toggling a single
> advanced button would expand the basic set to include the advanced
> settings. The advantages of this are that is simplifies the interface (just
> one button and just one page) while retaining complete functionality.

I agree.

Look here http://wiki.ubuntu.com/KubuntuSystemSettingsUsability . That
version is back to the roots and i would first check if that mockup was ever
implemented and if so when and why those buttons were changed to tabs.

Else we will discuss a switch to tabs in say a year or so.

Mike

--
Michael Jansen
Available for contract work ( Development / Configuration Management )