Guidance in KDE Admin

Sebastian Kuegler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 25 10:57:15 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 25 March 2008 10:35:05 Nicolas Ternisien wrote:
> - The approval of main developers of Guidance

I wouldn't have a problem with them moving into KDE Admin. The largest barrier
currently is probably the KDE4 Port. Also, guidance needs testing before
integration is done, just shipping it with some distro without making sure it
works is not a good idea.

Guidance is supposed to be working well on Debian, Kubuntu, it has originally
been written on Mandriva (but with distro-independance in mind) so that
should work as well (modulo bugs and things that may have changed under the
hood). The code is designed so new platforms can be supported easily, some
will work out of the box or with very minor changes.

All modules need porting to KDE4 (and could make nice showcases for the Python
bindings then). Mountconfig would also need porting to Solid (it already uses
HAL), Userconfig at this point only supports PAM (although I've once started
to add LDAP support to it.) Displayconfig doesn't currently know about xrandr
1.2 and all the dynamic stuff. Serviceconfig suffers a bit from the recent
variety of init systems, for example it hasn't been ported completely to
Ubuntu's upstart. It does work with  Debian's system, and I also ported it to
work well with Gentoo.

On the upside, the modules' code is fairly clean and probably not too much of
a pain to work on.

Unfortunately, lately I only rarely find the time to hack on Guidance, and
it's not likely to change in a short timeframe.
--
sebas