Kubuntu Settings in KDE

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 25 09:44:55 GMT 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008, Chani wrote:

> >  * kio_httprc: set Firefox userid on google.com, makes gmail and
> >    calendar work
> +1
+1. But if google says later "see, nobody is using konqueror anyway" (from their webstats)
we'll have to remember that konqueror doesn't appear as such :)

> >  * kwalletrc: don't run first time wizard, its more confusing than
> >    than just asking for a password
>
> eh.... but... how can anyone live without kwallet? let's fix the wizard, not
> abandon it.

I think Jonathan means that you can use the wallet by simply filling in your
password the first time rather than using the full wizard? Right Jonathan?

> >  * konquerorsu: NoDisplay in apps menu (root is bad)
> yes, root is very bad.

Well, yes it is, but how else does a GUI user edit a config file from /etc, after
a helpful poweruser tells him to "remove this line from this file"?
If you don't know the command line, you can't use "sudo vi ...",
and you can't just ask kwrite to "become root when saving",
so you have to use a file manager running as root in order to edit config files,
don't you? What am I missing?

> >  * kwalletmanager: NoDisplay in menu (available though systray applet)
> unless the wallet is closed, or a systray bug makes it vanish, or...

Hmm, I thought the systray applet remains around even when the wallet is closed.
Ah, it's a config option: "Hide system tray icon when last wallet closes".
I suggest that this option is turned off by default, if we make kwalletmanager NoDisplay...