Feedback wanted: multiprocess KDED

Sebastian TrĂ¼g strueg at mandriva.com
Tue Mar 25 07:13:02 GMT 2008

For Nepomuk I use multiple KDED services. However, KDED has the problem that
all services run in the same process and thread. This has two major
disadvantages:
1. one buggy service brings down all other including kded.
2. one working service blocks all other services.

Thus, I took some code from Akonadi's agent manager and made the NepomukServer
start Nepomuk services (same as KDED modules with a different service type)
as new processes. It works very well. It even does dependency handling
between services.
However, why only doing this for Nepomuk services and not for all kded
modules. So here the question: would a patch that changed kded to use
subprocesses while staying completely backwards-compatible be accepted for
KDE 4.1?

Cheers,
Sebastian