Kubuntu Settings in KDE

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Mar 20 21:21:36 GMT 2008

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> what about a Safari-ish userid? that's even closer to what we are (khtml or
> webkit). does such a thing as that work at all?

It's really not that easy, unfortunately. KHTML isn't WebKit;
KHTML is KHTML. Websites treating Konqueror as Safari or KHTML
as WebKit has been a problem in the past, when critical bits
happened to behave more like Gecko or MSHTML. IIRC, GMail came
up there once, too. The basic problem is that the extoled "web
standards" can have grey areas the size of Alaska, making com-
patibility a function of market share.

Any sort of "let's pretend to be X for this page" is a stopgap
hack prone to failure, and the "Well, Safari is close" line of
thinking can blow up depending on the page.

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein at kde.org