Kubuntu Settings in KDE

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 17:31:53 GMT 2008

Hello,

> * kcookiejarrc: accept cookies by default (I find it hard to believe
> normal users really want to filter every single cookie)

Not to mention that the cookie prompt has no explanation of what a
'cookie' or 'domain' is.  The default policy in Firefox is to accept
cookies from the website you are visiting by default but reject
third-party cookies.  That seems quite a sensible option to me.

I believe there are extensive discussions on the subject in Mozilla's
Bugzilla.  Probably worth a read.

> * cryptodefaults: don't warn when submitting forms to
> unencrypted sites, everyone does this all the time with Google etc

+1.  My personal experience from school days is that very few people
even read such messages.  They just scan the buttons and look for the
option most likely to get rid of the dialog and let them get on with
browsing.  Bloggers on Planet Mozilla have covered this.

> * click instead of hover on kickoff

My original implementation for KDE 4 did this.  It was the only
deliberate change from SuSE's Kickoff and I think it is the least
frustrating behaviour to work with.

> * kio_httprc: set Firefox userid on google.com,
> makes gmail and calendar work

Is this information replaceable without sending out an entire new
kdelibs / kdebase package?  The compatibility state of websites can and
does change frequently in the 6-month period between releases.  New
websites come along, old ones get browser checks fixed and added etc.

Regards,
Robert.