Request for breaking hard feature freeze for an important Nepomuk service

Sebastian TrĂ¼g strueg at mandriva.com
Mon Jun 30 13:25:18 BST 2008

Hi guys,

we are in feature freeze which means the fact that this feature is in the
feature plan for 4.1 does not help me anymore.
But I think this is important:

When moving files that have been tagged or rated or commented around you lose
the information because Nepomuk relates the files and resources by URL.

So far I have no perfect solution for this problem since both FAM and inotify
are not sufficient to track all files.

But now the filewatch service uses at least KDirNotify (just learned about
that one) and inotify to watch for changes. This means that user that only
use KDE apps to handle their files will have no trouble. Everyone else will
also stay out of trouble unless they have more than 8000 something files in
their home directory (inotify's default limit) or they tag files outside of
the home dir.

This is not perfect but so far I don't have a perfect solution.

One more thing before you ask: I use inotify and not FAM because FAM does not
support move operations the way I need them: I need to know the source and
destination of the operation. Only inotify provides that.

Some more details:
* It is a Nepomuk service and would live in kdebase/runtime/nepomuk/services
  (it currently resides in playground/base/nepomuk-kde/filewatch)
* I have no replacement for inotify on Windows or MAC yet (KDirWatch cannot be
  used for the same reason as FAM)

If there are no objections (hopefully) I would move the service into kdereview
for you to look over it. I think there are still some Windows/MAC specific
ifdefs to be done.

Thanks a lot for considering.
Cheers,
Sebastian