Bug 154595

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jun 26 09:22:48 BST 2008

On Tuesday 26 February 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> While I think that it is a good thing to implement the new XDG standard
> in KDE-4.1.0 -- actually, there are other XDG standards and stuff that
> should be added to KDE-4 -- there is an issue.
>
> KDE-4 is supposed to work with KDE-3 applications and this means that it
> needs to be compatible with the way that KDE-3 applications select which
> application to open for which MIME type.
>
> Has this bug fix been tested to see if it will work with the 'desktop'
> files from KDE-3 applications?

Well, for launching kde3 applications there's no problem, just like for non-kde apps,
their desktop file (or mimeapps.list) mentions the mimetype.

But for launching apps (based on mimetypes) -from- within kde3 apps, well, you need to use
the kde3 filetype editor if you really want that, the changes made in the kde4 filetype editor won't help.
WONTFIX, though. I'm not going to patch kde3, too late for that, nor am I going to resurrect
the old broken code that generated modified local .desktop files, the whole point of mimeapps.list
was to get rid of that. We have to move on. Get those kde3 apps ported to kde4 :-)