[kde-artists] Missing Oxygen icons (for Okular)

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jun 16 16:33:37 BST 2008

Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Saturday, 14. June 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> Notice the problem that the:
>>
>> 	go-next
>> 	go-previous
>>
>> icons are being used for two different purposes (each).
>>
>> I had always thought that it was the two icons circled in Green that
>> needed to be changed.  However, this is wrong.  It is the icons circled
>> in Red that need to be changed.  Specifically, these 4 icons refer
>> movement through the pages in a document.
>
> I agree - the difference in concept is not so much document vs. "global",
> but rather history based navigation (green in your screenshot) vs.
> order based navigation (red), as I have sometimes stated in the past already.

Yes.

Note that the definition of the uses of the Green circled icons is not
as strict since they can be used for anything which is: Back & Forward.

Your point is taken regarding the Red circled icons.  There are probably
multiple uses for them.  However, we do need to consider that although
these might be used for other things that they would be specifically for
the KDE Standard Actions which have default tooltips (L to R):

	First Page
	Back in the Document
	Forward in the Document
	Last Page

So, I think that they should be designed and named with that specific
use in mind which is why I suggested: "page" for <something>.  However,
I do note that this word is only for the humans, the code doesn't care
what the word for <something> is as long is there is one.

I do wish that there were consistent names for these 4 actions.  But, it
is too late for that.  So, this basically leaves us with either "page"
or "document" as the two logical choices for <something>.

Perhaps consistent tooltips as well (that can be changed in 4.2).  I
there some reason that:

weren't used?  I am getting off topic, but KDE-Core, please consider
these tooltips.

--
JRT