kdelibs CMake module docs (Was: Re: kdedoxygen.sh (Was: API dox))

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jun 15 09:59:17 BST 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Saturday 14 June 2008 12:42:24 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Saturday 14 June 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Howdy,
> > >
> > > I just put a new tool called kdedoxygen.sh into kdesdk/scripts.
> > > Let me know if it helps. I'll update TechBase about this.
> > >
> > > % kdedoxygen.sh -h
> > > kdedoxygen.sh - generates API html pages for KDE modules using doxygen
> > >
> > > Simply chdir to the directory containing your code and run this
> > > program. The output html can be found in apidocs/html, and the
> > > processing log is in doxygen.log
> >
> > Somewhat related:
> > it would be nice if we would have documentation for the cmake modules
> > coming with kdelibs/cmake/modules/ on techbase.
> > I think we have everything to do this.
> > -cmake 2.6 supports creating documentation in docbook format. This should
> > be good as something which can be converted into content for techbase ?
> > -cmake 2.6 supports creating documentation for custom cmake modules (i.e.
> > not only the ones which come with cmake):
> > $ cmake -DCMAKE_MODULE_PATH=<path_to_custom_modules>
> > --help-custom-modules <filename.docbook>
> >
> > So let's say you have kdelibs installed to /opt/kde4, the following will
> > generate a docbook file for all cmake modules from kdelibs:
> >
> > $ cmake -DCMAKE_MODULE_PATH=/opt/kde4/share/apps/cmake/modules \
> >          --help-custom-modules kdelibs-cmake-modules.docbook
> >
> > Then this docbook file has to be converted to something appropriate for
> > techbase and put online.
>
> Maybe techbase isn't the right place for this.. seems sorta strange to
> convert docbook to mediawiki (not sure that is easy to do) and then
> copy+paste that into a wiki entry form.

You are right, api.kde.org sounds better.

> And the kde-cmake-stuff changes pretty often.

Where ?
I mean, the interfaces must not change to stay compatible and I think we are
doing quite ok with this.

> How about if we make pretty HTML (instead of docbook)

Isn't the idea of docbook to be able to generate everything from it,
including "pretty HTML" ?
CMake right now can generate man pages, text files, HTML files (basic, they
probably don't qualify as "pretty") and docbook.
Docbook was added specifically so that people who need a different format can
use the docbook files and convert them to whatever they want.

Alex