Automatically Generated Keyboard Accelerators (replacing kaccelgen.h)

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Wed Jun 11 12:28:42 BST 2008

On 2008-06-11, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> [: Mark Summerfield :]
> >> [...] the biggest n possible is 36 no matter how many strings there are.
> >
> > [: Thiago Macieira :]
> > Mind you we're probably going to add the Cyrillic and Greek alphabets to
> > that list (that's 32 + 24 letters) and possibly Hebrew and Arabic. The
> > number will be closer to 120 than to 36.
>
> I was just about to comment the same, albeit with a slightly more
> pessimistic estimate: I don't think 200 is far fetched either. Looking
> through Hebrew and Arabic translations they also add accelerators, and
> within Latin and Cyrillic alphabets there are extras from language to
> language (e.g. Serbian will add 5 Latin and 6 Cyrillic characters).

I just have a standard US 101 key keyboard but you guys seem to be
saying that Russian and other keyboards have a lot more keys that can be
used with Alt. So on the face of it that sounds like n gets big and the
time complexity worse... but if you have 200 characters to choose from
and your menu has only 25 items (and not many are even that long), then
it should be easier (i.e., faster) to find suitable accelerators because
there are far more valid characters to choose from. So I'm not convinced
this would be a problem in practice. (And you could always reduce the
depth if it was.)

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu