Automatically Generated Keyboard Accelerators (replacing kaccelgen.h)

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jun 10 12:27:36 BST 2008

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 12:21:07 Chusslove Illich wrote:
> We could simply allow [a-z0-9] by default, and provide another meta-message
> for translators to append to that what they consider is fine for their
> language (hm, or make it by state rather than by language?)

It's not per-language. It's per keyboard layout. So I don't think translators
can help much. And changing accelerators after the keyboard layout changes
doesn't sound like a good idea either.

> Regardless, I'm more worried by the fact that lxr.kde.org reports KAccelGen
> to be used only in one place, in Konqueror, and that whatever *really*
> assigns accelerators (Qt?) completely ignores non-Latin characters, thus
> leaving e.g. my Cyrillic menu items unaccelerated. On the other hand, if I
> understood, this is exactly what e.g. CJK languages would want to happen.
> So... any idea who should I complain to for script-dependent solutions? :)

I've seen Japanese interfaces and in general they have a single, capital latin
letter in the name so that it grabs the shortcut. That, of course, defeats
the entire purpose of the accel generator because the translator has to
choose the shortcut letter when translating.

So I'd recommend coming up with a whitelist of capital letters in different
scripts. There will be no contribution from CJK in that whitelist, meaning
the algo will always select the Latin letter if available.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358