Qt SVG renderer

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jul 29 18:40:28 BST 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 18:20:01 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > http://media.ereslibre.es/2008/07/icons/
> >
> > Here you can find a full list of icons that are misdrawn, and how
> > inkscape draws it.
>
> What's with all the icons that have "junk" behind them? Is that extra
> stuff in the svg (that could, and probably should, be deleted), or how
> is Qt managing to munge those?

That's what I'm most alarmed about. How did that junk appear?

Are those things in the SVG files? If they are, it's like Microsoft Word
keeping old revisions when you publish a .doc.

> @TT (ah, "Qt Group"? What is it these days? ;-) ):

Qt Software dept., part of the Devices Organisation (for short, "D-Qt"). At
least until the next corporate reorganisation. TT/N is also valid, a short for
"Trolltech, a Nokia Company".

> I'm sure it's been said many times, but the biggest hole in Qt's SVG
> support (in my opinion, but I've seen it shared by others as well) is
> the lack of support for masks and blur. Mask can be overcome somewhat by
> CSG operations in inkscape, but this is destructive to the SVG. To be
> honest, I'd almost say that blur is most needed. Even /just/ blur but
> not other filters would I think be a serious improvement... the thing
> is, it's by far the best/easiest way to do shadows or soft shading, both
> of which are ubiquitous.
>
> Note: I don't do icons. I *have* done (and am currently doing) some game
> graphics, and those two are noticeably limiting of my artistic expression.

I have found someone in the office who seemed interested in fixing issues. He
has, however, no more clue than I do about the filters and blurs. So we cannot
promise anything for the time being, other than fixing the blatant problems.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358