Help with making stuff compile on non-Linux

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Fri Jul 25 09:30:57 BST 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:

> > Even worse, it is for root only until 2.6.26. In any case I don't think
> > this code should be compiled for anything != linux. for other platforms,
> > seting nice'ness is enough.
> that should be fairly easy. Isnt's checking for the definition of
> SYS_ionice_set already enough?

Yes, that should do it. Note that this is compile time vs runtime checking
(the kernel the code runs under could possibly not understand this syscall),
but the code doesn't to any harmful if both calls fail so its only a
theoretical problem.

> > in any case it should use some sleep()'s at good places anyway.
> But where? What are good places to sleep in the file indexer? Between
> files? That does not really help I think....

Help with what? Finishing the index? No. Perhaps a general idle detection
would be better (does it have a X11 connection? if the screensaver is running
or the user is idle then switching to fulll speed is probably a good idea).

Greetings,
Dirk