Help with making stuff compile on non-Linux

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Wed Jul 23 14:27:42 BST 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Sebastian TrĂ¼g wrote:

> > However, if that happens, the application will need code to pace itself.
> So, ionice was introduced in 2.6.13 then?

Even worse, it is for root only until 2.6.26. In any case I don't think this
code should be compiled for anything != linux. for other platforms, seting
nice'ness is enough.

This also (almost) applies to linux: if your process has a low cpu nice'ness,
it is also degraded to Best-effort/low priority. you can't set idle priority
however via nice, thats why you need ionice.

in any case it should use some sleep()'s at good places anyway.

Greetings,
Dirk