Label Alignment in KDE4

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Fri Jul 18 09:49:54 BST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 7:51, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> One problem I had with the HIG when I last looked at it is that it was
> still incomplete. I can't remember the exact details what I were looking
> for but I didn't find information. Back than I had one technical
> question about the guidelines, but unfortunately didn't get an answer on
> the usability list. So I mostly concentrated on other parts of the
> software as reviewing and changing Ui is something you can do even after
> any feature freeze.

I've also hit this problem of not being able to find what I need in the
HIG. Its incompleteness does make it difficult sometimes to even attempt
to adhere to the KDE 4 UI standard, since it largely isn't defined.

> I actually try to get our (KDevelops) dialogs into a better shape, but
> the problem I often face is that our dialogs and widgets use
> not-so-standard gui items. Or non-standard combinations of them.
>
> Recently I've had a look at QFormLayout and I did find a dialog that
> benefits from using it, but there are many more for which this simply
> won't work.

This is the problem I have in KAlarm. Most of the dialogs don't seem
suitable for the right-aligned label treatment, since there are a lot of
check boxes and radio buttons with only some label/widget pairs
interspersed. Are there any alignment guidelines for this case?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.